CALIFORNIA BUSINESS, CONSUMER SERVICES AND HOUSING
Departments for different aspects of housing are listed below and on this web page: https://www.bcsh.ca.gov/housing/index.html
. Programs with services available directly to the public are in bold italic
type.Housing and Community Development
The Department of Housing and Community Development administers State and Federal housing and community development loan and grant programs. These programs develop and rehabilitate rental and supportive housing, promote homeownership, provide emergency rent relief, and assist in creating housing for farm workers, people with disabilities, and people experiencing homelessness. The Department also administers the Community Block Grant Program that funds housing activities, public works, community facilities, and public service projects serving lower-income people in rural communities.
California Housing Finance Agency
- Community Block Grant Program - For rural cities and counties
- No Place Like Home Program - For counties
- Veterans Housing and Homelessness Prevention Program - The VHHP Program does not provide funding directly to individuals. Veterans in need of assistance can contact the US Department of Veteran Affairs’ Nation Call Center for Homeless Veterans Hotline at 1-877-4AID VET (1-877-424-3838) or the California Department of Veterans Affairs https://www.calvet.ca.gov/.
- Mobilehome Assistance Center https://www.hcd.ca.gov/manufactured-and-mobilehomes/mobilehome-assistance-center - The Mobilehome Assistance Center (MAC) receives and processes complaints from the public and from public officials related to living in manufactured homes and mobilehomes. Staff provides information, coordination, referrals, and other assistance to help resolve complaints generally related to:
- The operation of mobilehome parks related to health and safety matters.
- The purchase, sale, financing, titling, and registration of manufactured homes and mobilehomes.
- The installation, inspection, and maintenance or alteration of manufactured homes, mobilehome accessory structures, and park grounds.
CalHFA supports the needs of renters and homebuyers by providing financing and programs so more low and moderate-income Californians have a place to call home. The Agency's Multifamily Division finances affordable rental housing through partnerships with jurisdictions, developers, and more. At the same time, its Single-Family Division provides first mortgage loans and down payment assistance to first-time homebuyers.
Department of Fair Employment and Housing
- The Dream For All Shared Appreciation Loan is a down payment assistance program for first-time homebuyers to be used in conjunction with the Dream For All Conventional first mortgage for down payment and/or closing costs. Upon sale or transfer of the home, the homebuyer repays the original down payment loan, plus a share of the appreciation in the value of the home. https://www.calhfa.ca.gov/dream/
The Department of Fair Employment and Housing is the largest state civil rights agency in the country. The Department investigates, mediates and prosecutes complaints alleging employment, housing and public accommodation discrimination. Investigates and prosecutes complaints alleging acts of hate violence.California Interagency Council on Homelessness
The California Interagency Council on Homelessness (Council) mission is to develop policies, identify resources, benefits, and services to prevent and work toward ending homelessness in California. The Council does not provide direct services to individuals.Department of Real Estate
The mission of the California Department of Real Estate is to safeguard and promote the public interests in real estate matters through licensure, regulation, education and enforcement. The Department of Real Estate licenses and regulates mortgage loan originators, real estate brokers and salespersons, and offerings of subdivided lands in California. The DRE revised CALIFORNIA TENANTS - A GUIDE TO RESIDENTIAL TENANTS’ AND LANDLORDS’ RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES (2/1/22): https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/California-Tenants-Guide.pdf