• Washington, District Of Columbia
  • 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS)
  • TTY
  • Toll-Free

FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP) provides financial and direct services to eligible individuals and households affected by a disaster, who have uninsured or under-insured necessary expenses and serious needs. IHP assistance is not a substitute for insurance and cannot compensate for all losses caused by a disaster. The assistance is intended to meet your basic needs and supplement disaster recovery efforts.

IHP Assistance may include:
  • Funds for temporary housing while you are unable to live in your home, such as rental assistance, or reimbursement for hotel costs
  • A temporary housing unit, if approved for the disaster, when you are not able to use rental assistance due to a lack of available housing resources
  • Funds to support the repair or replacement of owner-occupied homes that serve as the household’s primary residence, including privately-owned access routes, such as driveways, roads, or bridges
  • Funds for other uninsured or under-insured disaster-caused expenses and serious needs, such as repair or replacement of personal property and vehicles, or funds for moving and storage, medical, dental, child care, funeral, and other miscellaneous items approved by your state, territory, or tribal government
  • Funds for hazard mitigation assistance to help eligible homeowners repair or rebuild stronger, more durable homes.

For more information visit

Apply for Assistance
For information on the application process visit Documents you need to provide to FEMA include an Insurance determination letter. (Note: FEMA cannot provide assistance for losses that are covered by insurance.), proof of occupancy or ownership, and proof of ID.

Ways to apply include:
  • Internet or smartphone applications
  • By phone
  • In person
  • By mail or fax

By Phone
You may call FEMA toll-free at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362) to apply for assistance or check your application status.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and use a Text Telephone (TTY), you may call 800-462-7585.

If you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), please use the standard toll-free FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362).

In Person
You may visit a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). To look up DRC locations:Disaster Survivor Assistance team members may also visit door-to-door in your area. They will have official FEMA photo identification.

Mail or Fax
You may mail updates to your application by mail or by fax.

Mail to:
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

Fax to:
Attn: FEMA

Check Your Application Status Online
You may apply or check your application status at

General Questions
General questions or comments about FEMA disaster assistance for individuals and families can be emailed to