NEVADA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
950 Maidu Avenue
Nevada City, Nevada
The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office provides free “EVACUATED” tags for residents to place in a highly visible place such as a door, reflective address sign, mailbox, fence, or gate as they evacuate their residence during an emergency. These tags will help first responders swiftly identify which homes have been evacuated so they can focus their attention on those who still need help and decrease overall evacuation times.
It is a complement to, not a replacement of other best practices, like having a go bag ready, being familiar with the Hi-Lo evacuation siren, and knowing evacuation routes.
It is understood that some residents may be apprehensive to place a sign like this in front of their homes, believing it could invite criminal activity. The Sheriff’s Office, which oversees evacuations, assures all concerned residents that once an area is evacuated law enforcement will minimize access to those areas. Deputies will then saturate those evacuated areas with patrols. The process can help alert law enforcement to suspicious activity in clearly marked evacuated neighborhoods.
These tags are free and may usually be found at the following locations throughout Nevada County:
- Nevada County Sheriff’s Office 950 Maidu Avenue, Nevada City, CA 95959
- Nevada County Sheriff’s Office – Truckee Substation, 10879 Donner Pass Rd., Truckee, CA 96161
- Higgins Fire District Station 21, 10106 Combie Rd., Auburn, CA 95602
- Station 23, 20604 McCourtney Rd., Grass Valley, CA 95949
- Nevada County Consolidated Fire District, Station 84 640 Coyote Street, Nevada City, CA 95959
- Station 89, 11833 Tammy Way, Grass Valley, CA 95949
- Peardale Chicago Park Fire Protection District, Station 57, 18934 Colfax Hwy, Grass Valley, CA 95945
- Penn Valley Fire Protection District, Station 43, 10513 Spenceville Rd., Penn Valley, CA. 95946
- Truckee Fire Protection District, Station 91, 10049 Donner Pass Rd., Truckee, CA 96161
- Washington Fire Department, Station 60, 15406 Washington Rd. Nevada City, CA 95959
For more preparedness tools like Go Bag and Emergency Allies checklists, Defensible Space tips and Evacuation planning visit ReadyNevadaCounty.org
To aid in prompt evacuations, all residents should sign up for Code Red. To sign up, or find additional information, visit: https://www.nevadacountyca.gov/2713/Emergency-Alerts