The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free tax assistance to qualifying individuals and families who earned less than $65,000 in 2022
. The coalition also helps educate the public on the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). VITA is available through Placer County Health and Human Services in cooperation with IRS and United Way. Preparation assistance is available online at YourFreeTaxPrep.org
or in person by IRS trained volunteers.VITA Schedule:
The Placer County VITA program starts January 30, 2023. The program will run through March 30 and is available online at https://yourfreetaxprep.org
/. If people are unable to file online, appointments for locations in Auburn or Rocklin are available by calling 211 or 1-833-342-5211, starting Jan. 30. Appointments will be scheduled for 1/31 and beyond.Tax Deadline:
Deadline for individuals filing 2022 federal income taxes is April 18, 2023. HOWEVER...January 2023 storm victims in California have until May 15, 2023 to file various federal individual and business tax returns and make tax payments. IF YOU NEED THIS EXTENSION USE YourFreeTaxPrep.org
TO PREPARE AND FILE. VITA WILL ONLY DO RETURNS UNTIL APRIL 18.2022 TAXES IN PERSON - DROP OFF/PICK UP ONLY
For filing 2022 taxes in 2023, the VITA program is available in-person at Placer County locations. All in-person appointments are to drop off and pick up tax documents ONLY.
After the program begins: to schedule an in-person drop off/pick up appointment call 833-342-5211 or dial 2-1-1.2022 TAXES ONLINE
For filing 2022 taxes in 2023, free virtual tax preparation assistance through VITA is available online at YourFreeTaxPrep.org
.NO PAST YEARS TAXES FOR IN-PERSON TAX APPOINTMENTS
Past years' taxes are not to be completed at a drop-off location.Placer County In-Person Locations
What to bring to your appointment
- No scheduling, cancelations, or same day appointments after 5 pm each day.
- Upon arrival at your drop off appointment location, you will be registered with Get Your Refund and sent a link to e-sign (provide an electronic signature for) your return. If you are unable to E-sign your return, the VITA team will schedule you a time to come in and sign it.
- No walk-ins. Appointment required.
Make sure you’re prepared for your appointment. A list of what you’ll need to bring can be found here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/checklist-for-free-tax-return-preparation
. ID cards will be asked of dependents as well (if applicable).Client Information Security
All information collected by IRS trained volunteers at Placer County VITA locations is stored using county encryption software and is then uploaded to GetYourRefund.org
(a government site). This includes photo identification (selfie/s with ID card/s). All paperwork collected will be stored in a locked cabinet. Once copies of clients' information are uploaded, all documents are securely shredded. Virtual signatures will only be requested of clients from GetYourRefund.org's Call Center at 1-650-449-4147.Who can be served, where?
Who can NOT be served? What can NOT be filed?
- Registered Domestic Partner Filings: Online or drop-off (recommended)
- Health Savings Accounts: Online or drop-off only
- Out of state filings: Online only
- Clients who claimed Bankruptcy: No VITA assistance available IF any part of the bankruptcy process was within the tax filing year (even if it was resolved)
- Married Filing Separately
- Rental Income
- Cancellation of Debt (other than non-business credit card debt)
- Self-Employment with expenses MORE than $35,000 in expenses or business with Inventory (VITA tax preparers do not have certifications for these types of returns)
- Military Personnel and Spouses (unable to be served in year 2022)
VITA's trained volunteers will make sure you receive tax credits you qualify for.Volunteer