DISABILITY RIGHTS CALIFORNIA
What is a Representative Payee (Rep. Payee)?
An individual or organization that the Social Security Administration (SSA) appoints to receive and manage the RSDI (Retirement, Survivors, and Disability Insurance), SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance), or SSI (Supplemental Security Income) benefits of another person, also referred to as a beneficiary. A rep. payee must use the benefits they receive for the use and benefit, and in the best interest of, the beneficiary.What does OPRABA do?
How can OPRABA help?
- Reviews of Rep. Payees
- Educational Visits
- Initial Onsite Assessment of Fee for Service Organizations
- Corrective Action Plans
- Information and Referral to Beneficiaries
Purpose of Reviews
- If you suspect that a rep. payee is misusing or improperly using a beneficiary’s funds, contact OPRABA.
- If you have a rep. payee and would like to learn how to be your own payee, contact OPRABA.
- If you are a rep. payee and you have questions about your duties, contact OPRABA.
To verify that rep. payees are properly using funds on behalf of beneficiaries and carrying out their duties correctly. There are several types of reviews. More info here
.How was OPRABA created?
OPRABA was created by the Strengthening Protections for Social Security Beneficiaries Act of 2018, a bi-partisan bill that was signed into law on April 13, 2018. OPRABA staff are employees of Disability Rights California, not SSA.
OPRABA is a program of Disability Rights California
(DRC), a nonprofit legal services organization founded in 1978 that advocates, educates, investigates and litigates to advance the rights, dignity, equal opportunities, and choices for all people with disabilities.