• 200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
    Washington, District Of Columbia
  • U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
    Toll Free Call Center
    1-877-696-6775​ is the gateway to food safety information provided by government agencies.

Selected Federal Agencies with a Role in Food Safety
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) serve important roles in ensuring food safety in the United States.
  • Food Safety and Inspection Service: FSIS is the public health agency in the U.S. Department of Agriculture responsible for ensuring that the nation's commercial supply of meat, poultry, and processed egg products is safe, wholesome, and correctly labeled and packaged.
  • U.S. Food and Drug Administration: The FDA is charged with protecting the public health by assuring that foods (except for meat from livestock, poultry and some egg products which are regulated by FSIS) are safe, wholesome, sanitary and properly labeled; that cosmetics and dietary supplements are safe and properly labeled; that human and veterinary drugs, and vaccines and other biological products and medical devices intended for human use are safe and effective; regulating tobacco products; and protecting the public from electronic radiation
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: CDC leads federal efforts to gather data on foodborne illnesses, investigate foodborne illnesses and outbreaks, and monitor the effectiveness of prevention and control efforts in reducing foodborne illnesses. CDC also plays a key role in building state and local health department epidemiology, laboratory, and environmental health capacity to support foodborne disease surveillance and outbreak response.
State Agencies
During an investigation of foodborne illness or a recall, federal government agencies may work with state agencies such as the state department of public health or state department of agriculture. If you believe you or someone you know became ill from eating a certain food, please contact your local (county or city) health department. To find out how to contact your local health department, refer to the Web site for your state’s health department.

Do You Think You Have Food Poisoning?
If you believe that you or someone you know became ill from eating a certain food or if you suspect that a food is contaminated, see Food Safety: Report a Problem with Food.

Food Safety During & After a Power Outage

Keeping Food Safe During an Emergency