415 North Pine Street
Nevada City, Nevada
The Sierra Roots
Weather Shelter in Nevada City is a program that is activated during extreme hot or cold weather events for one of the most vulnerable populations, the chronically homeless people in the community. Each time a weather event triggers the need to open, enough volunteers are needed also.
Clothing is available the first part of the evening. In the winter an extra amount of sturdy boots, rain gear, warm coats, etc are available.
NOTE: Sierra Roots does not provide motel vouchers or gas cards.Sierra Roots warming shelter can accommodate up to 30 adult guests. First come, first served.
To check if the shelter will be open, call 211 or 833-342-5211. Sierra Roots always notifies its answering service when the shelter will open, so another way to check if shelter will be open is to call the business line, 530-751-3263.See NOAA.gov forecast info for zip code 95959
:The Sierra Roots shelter opens when the following conditions occur:
- 5 consecutive hours at 30 degrees F. or lower, or 32 degrees F. or lower with snow on the ground
- Enough volunteers
- Also considered: periods of sustained wetness and next day rebound temperatures
Pets okay with the following conditions:
- Dogs must be leashed at all times.
- Animal/s must be under full control of their owners at all times.
People can access Sierra Roots services by going to the lunches they serve on Thursdays. At the Thursday lunch, there are offerings of clothing as well.
- During winter months, lunch served on Thursdays at 11:30am at the First Community Church at 300 Main Street, Nevada City.
- During summer months, Thursday lunches are served at 11:30am at Pioneer Park, 421 Nimrod Street in Nevada City in the picnic area near the horseshoe pits.
See volunteer opportunities for Sierra Roots on the Connecting Point Volunteer Hub:https://volunteerhub.connectingpoint.org/organization/0011U00000pJoqWQAS
When the NC Veterans Hall is not available, an alternate location for the shelter will be announced.