• 950 Maidu Avenue
    Nevada City, Nevada
  • Social Services- Truckee
  • CalFresh Intake Line
  • Fax
  • Toll-Free
    Calfresh Interactive Voice Response
  • Hot-Line
    Calfresh/EBT Customer Service
  • Business Line

CalFresh is a food supplement program, formerly known as Food Stamps or SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), that helps qualified individuals obtain nutritious food.

Many CalFresh customers work and are considered low income. Others may be unable to work due to lack of work or inability to work; individuals receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI and SSD), and Social Security are eligible for CalFresh. Individuals receiving or authorized to receive SSI/SSP (Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Payment) are eligible for CalFresh, provided all other eligibility criteria are met. 

Even if temporary, individuals and families who have experienced a change in their circumstances due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and need additional help, may apply for CalFresh. Californians can visit to apply or call 877-847-3663 (FOOD) to be connected to their local county social service office.

To apply, an application can be completed online at or in-person at the Nevada County Social Services office. Next, an interview will be conducted by an Eligibility worker where eligibility criteria will be reviewed and verifications will be requested. The application will be approved or denied within 30 calendar days after the date of application unless determined to be Expedited Services. Expedited Services exist if a customer has an immediate need for food and meets extremely low financial resources criteria. In that case, customers may be eligible to receive CalFresh benefits within 3 business days.

After approval for CalFresh benefits, customers are issued an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card and can use it at participating stores to access their CalFresh benefits when purchasing groceries.

CalFresh benefits can be used to purchase food for human consumption including meat, milk eggs, cereal, fresh fruits and vegetables as well as seeds and plants to grow for household use.

EBT Online - As of April 28, 2020, CalFresh EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) card users can purchase groceries online from selected vendors.
For information, visit:If you receive CalWORKs, you may also be able to use your cash benefits to make some other kinds of purchases online. Check with your county social service office for approved vendors. California is actively working to expand the number of stores that accept EBT online in the future.
October 2020
The Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) program is now closed to new applicants. Current P-EBT cardholders who have questions can visit or call 833-780-0353 for this information: 
"P-EBT Cardholder Support
Families that have already received a P-EBT card and need assistance with PIN set up, need to request a replacement card, or did not receive their card in the mail as expected, may contact their local social services office for help.
A list of local offices can be found here: or call 1-877-847-3663 to get connected by phone. Families that live in Los Angeles County can call 1-877-597-4777.
Local social services offices can only help families that expected to receive a card in the mail or already received a P-EBT card. Local social service offices cannot assist with P-EBT eligibility issues or provide any status updates on P-EBT."

More P-EBT info here:

In the case of natural disaster, PG&E Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS), and some other circumstances, food benefits may possibly be replaced. Application must be filed within 10 days of the end of an event (such as a power shutoff).

CalFRESH recipients can apply to have benefits replaced by submitting the CF 303 Replacement Affidavit/Authorization form found here:

The form must be printed out, completed, and returned:
In person: Department of Social and Child Support Services, Public Assistance, 950 Maidu Avenue, Suite 120, Nevada City, CA 95959
Via email: (cfmc stands for calfresh medi-cal)
It can be completed over the phone IF you can do an e-signature on your phone. Call for more info. 

Phone: 530-265-1340 (general) or 530-265-7026 for specific questions about the CF 303 form and replacement program

In addition to County contact info above, here is California Department of Social Services contact info:
Call: 877-847-3663 (FOOD)
Come in/find an office: (includes info for other languages, or reasonable accommodations)
For speech and/or hearing assistance call: 711 Relay

This is one of many possible First 5 Nevada County Ready to Grow (R2G) program resources. Ready to Grow resources are those that support the well-being of children ages 0-5.